Wednesday 1 February 2012

Next page, first quote leads to my first Stratford experience

THURSDAY, JANUARY 12, 2012

Next page, first quote leads to my first Stratford experience

I will say, and will oft repeat, Mr. Plummer should have foot or end notes for his quotes. I’m already stuck on quote 2
Chapter 1, page 4
“I didn’t throw myself into the struggle for life -
I threw my mother into it”
George Bernard Shaw
First, the only Shaw I have seen (surprise, surprise) was “Caesar and Cleopatra” at Stratford, starring….well, him, plus another Tony Award winner, Nikki M. James. That play was my introduction to Stratford. Fitting, yes? I wish I lived here when he did King Lear…
The play was everything which my imagination brewed up since I was a little girl. It had impeccable acting (watching Nikki grow up in front of our eyes was a thing of beauty). The lighting…the music, scene changes…If I had scene a Stratford play as a young girl, I doubt I would be a midwife now.
Christopher Plummer was everything and more than my mind conjured up. He had us all in the palm of his hand. It was watching a master work. The command of the language - slight nuances to make us rethink his spoken text. He had and still has a certain walk. His minor shake of his left hand while down his side gives him away. He had it in The Tempest, too.
I breathed it all in. A life dream come true. And it was just the beginning…
Jeff - I do not think I have mentioned it here yet, but he, ummm, tolerates the theatre - kind of like how I tolerate his music. But, getting a titty show during this play made it worth the trip for him. Yes, the Roman bath scene was a shock. But, at least he could enjoy something in the play. It is usually a long ride home when he attends with me.
Caesar and Cleoptra was written by GB Shaw (back to the text now, Stephanie). Looking back, it does sound odd that my first Stratford play was Shaw, but I have never been to the Shaw Festival (although I am in LOVE with Niagara-on-the-Lake). This play was easier to understand on the surface that Julius Caesar, I would say. However, there were just as many subtleties in the text as with Shakespeare. Maybe I should read Caesar and Cleopatra, too. Is it mentioned in Mr. Plummers book (apologies - my keyboard is now messing up and I cannot do contractions or possessions).
The quote listed at the beginning of this blog, I can only find it in the text by a Professor from Trent University (not my Dick), by the name of Professor LW Conolly. http://www.ampltd.co.uk/digital_guides/shaw_parts_1_to_3/editorial-introduction.aspx Somewhere in this Editorial Introduction is the quote for which I am looking.
Since I don’t know much of anything of Shaw, I am going to read this article as I ready for sleep. I’ve always wanted to know more about Shaw. Good time to do it. I will post with the quote reference and how it ties into Mr. Plummer and his broken heart when he learned his dog was not his mother.
Till a later understanding…
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment